Lecture: What are viruses, and how do they fit into God’s good creation?
14.02.2023 at 7 pm – free admission
Address: Kehrwiesen 9, 76356 Weingarten (Baden)
The lecture was recorded and can be listened to here:
Almost the same lecture also took place at Kreatikon 2021 and can be viewed here as a video lecture:
In the Bible we read that God has made everything “very good. Nevertheless, we have not only known since Corona that viruses can kill people. Did God create the corona virus? And what about other viruses? The lecture will provide background information on the structure and reproduction of viruses, but also address questions about their possible origin, function and a theological classification.
To the speaker:
- Studied biology at the University of Groningen, majoring in biochemistry and molecular genetics.
- PhD in molecular genetics
- He has taught and conducted research at the Universities of Groningen (Netherlands), Sydney (Australia), Basel and Zurich (Switzerland), among others.
- Author of over 70 articles in leading international journals in the field of molecular biology of gene expression and signal transduction.
- Married, father of two children
Currently, Dr. Peter Borger is working on the non-protein coding part of the genome and how it is involved in the generation of variation and speciation. He lectures and writes articles on these and related topics. In general, he is concerned with the question of how molecular biology can be understood from the perspective of creation. It is his belief that it is the responsibility of scientists to educate the public in the most objective manner possible to allow people to make their own informed decision regarding their faith.